And here we are again. I do apologize for the lack of updates, but I really can't promise that it won't become a habit. I'll do my best not to neglect you all in the future. :)
I want to take a moment, however random it may seem, to reflect on my apartment. We moved in here a little more than a year and a half ago, after about a year in North Macon. With help from some willing family members and friends, we painted the walls with the colors of our choosing, and moved in around Memorial Day 2007.
I absolutely love it here.
This place immediately felt like home. For those of you who aren't really aware with where we are, let me 'splain. We're on a beautiful street downtown, in an old house that's been cut up into apartments. We're in the upstairs, and from our huge (for a tiny apartment) green kitchen full of windows, we can see the law school, as well as most of the rest of the city.
This house is about 110 years old. There are hardwood floors, high ceilings, and a bathtub with claw feet. I love that we're near the library, a park, good coffee, and the gym. I love that we can walk downtown for the evening so nobody has to drive home. (Not that this is usually an issue, but it's nice to have options.) Are there things I'd like to change? Sure. I wish the fireplace worked. I wish we had a little bit more space, and a lot more storage. I wish the roof didn't leak during a hard rain-- but y'know, I grew up in a 100 year old house. There are some things I've gotten used to, and leaks that absolutely refuse to be fixed are on the list. Mostly though, I wish I could pack up this whole place and take it with us when we move. Not just the books and the ugly hand-me-down furniture and the gigantic refrigerator that we got for a wedding present, but the whole house.
See, occasionally I get in these moods where I feel a compulsive need to plan for the future. Right now, I still have no idea where we'll be going or when, so it's not really that productive to do this, but I like to think that this will help us be more prepared when the time comes to make a choice. Tonight I've been looking at apartments online, and I'm not happy with what I'm finding. I mean they're perfectly nice, for the most part, but they're all just so *boring*. I like that my house is colorful and eccentric. I don't want to live a beige apartment with beige carpet. Come to think of it, I don't really want to live anywhere with any color carpet, because frankly, I think wall-to-wall carpet is an overrated pain in the butt.
I think what really bothers me is that most of the apartments I'm finding are just so pristine. They remind me of dorm rooms because they just seem so uniform and bland. (Ok, I think everyone I knew in college can agree that none of us lived in a "pristine" dorm room, but you get what I mean, I hope.) I'm so over living in a "package" like this... I'm about to move across the country, probably, and while that's really kind of exciting, I don't want to live in a bland white box. I want to be done and settled. I want a house and I want to decorate it and make it mine, and that will not involve beige wall-to-wall carpet.
On the bright side though, if I live in a beige apartment, maybe I can get rid of the ugly white slipcovers on our even uglier couches in favor of something colorful. I'd really love to get rid of the ugly couches altoghther, but that's another show.
See you in March. Haha. I kid. Or maybe not.
Till next time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment