Friday, December 18, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

Have I seriously only posted 3 entries ever? Wow. Blogging fail. I'd like to point out that I've written more than that but haven't finished several entries, and thus they've never gotten posted. Anyways.

Hello, cake lovers!

The reason for this greeting is two-fold. One, I thought since this blog is linked to the Macon Cakes website (shameless self-promotion), maybe I ought to actually write something about cake. Two, stuff is going on with the bakery, and that's what this entry will be about. We'll probably cross-post this on the Macon Cakes Blog as well, just so you know. (Also if anybody knows how to change settings on Blogger so that two people can update one blog, help a girl out and tell me how? 'Preciate ya.)

So let's see. Bakery news. In short, we're taking a brief break while some things get organized and sorted out and made more official. As most of you are probably aware, I'm no longer in the fine metropolis of Macon, Georgia. The husband and I moved to Washington, D.C. at the end of August, and have been getting settled in well up here. Obviously, this has posed a few challenges for Macon Cakes, as I can't very well bake a 4-tier red velvet wedding cake and mail it 700 miles south to Katie for assembly and decoration. (Although I did make enough chocolate cake to feed the U.S. Senate for the lovely Ms. Collinsworth to form into a car for a friend's groom's cake in September. Kind of a long story.)

A lot of people have been asking both of us how this is going to work now that I've moved. The short answer is, we don't know, but this wasn't a surprise. We always knew I was going to be leaving Macon, and we always knew when. When we set up the business, it was planned around that. We're still both doing this thing; it's now just a question of figuring out how this works.

While I plan to open my own branch of our charming company wherever it is that I land permanently, I've been reluctant to do so without really knowing where it is I'll settle. Yes, the goal is still Birmingham eventually for me, but things are very up in the air as to the "when" of that outcome. Could be June, could be in 2015. (I really hope it isn't 2015, for the record.) Meanwhile, Katie is busily working away in Macon to get our business license up and running officially. Soooo... here's what's going to happen.

In short, until around mid-February, we aren't taking new orders. While Katie takes over getting the final licensing stuff done (and obviously the actual baking/decorating), I'm taking over the management aspect of things. That means, if you send us an email, I'll be the one that answers you. (After talking to Katie, of course.) Hopefully this will help us get things sorted out in a timely manner. I'm also going to do a better job of blogging, just as a personal goal in general. I figure, I have this fabulous kitchen (seriously, for a 538 square foot city apartment, it's amazing. It's amazing anyway, but especially for where we are.) and all this time-- I'm going to test out different cake recipes to try to expand our recipe repertoire (say that 5 times fast). I'm also going to work on improving my piping and fondanting skills... the better to decorate with!

Ok, that's about all the news there is. Until next time, go eat some cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment